It's also worth noting that we take our All City audition material directly from the All State selections. So does Adam State for Top of the Nation Honor Band. Go check it out!
All-State Concert BandScott Jones, Guest Conductor
Professor of Conducting and Ensembles, Ohio State University
All-State Symphonic BandCraig Kirchhoff, Guest Conductor
Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota
The 110-piece Concert Band is open only to students from high schools of 1,100 or fewer students based on “enrollment” count in 2015 -2016 CHSAA Directory.
(Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors)
The 110-piece Symphonic Band is open to students from all schools.
(Juniors and Seniors only)
All-State Weekend:March 30 - April 1, 2017
All-State Auditions:November 28 - December 2, 2016
(Audition locations and times TBD)
For further information,
please contact:UNC Bands
Frasier 18, Campus Box 28
Greeley, CO 80639
Phone: (970) 351-2273
Fax: (970) 351-2639
Audition MaterialsAudition materials and procedures are the same for both bands. A $20.00 fee will be charged for each auditioning student.
- Major Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 16th notes, quarter-note = 112
- Harmonic Minor Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 8th notes, quarter-note = 120
- Chromatic Scale of your choice: 2 octaves, in 8th notes, quarter-note = 80
- Must be played by memory on woodwinds, brass and mallets, legato up and down
- Approximately one minute of rhythmically challenging music.
- Köhler – 25 Romantic Etudes for Flute, Op. 66 (Kalmus) p. 24-25, No. 23, Beginning to downbeat of m. 33 (quarter note = 88-92)
- Andersen – 24 Etudes for the Flute, Op. 33 (C. Fischer) p. 20, No. 20, All, no repeats, 2nd endings (quarter note= 132)
- Voxman - Selected Studies (Rubank) p.19, beginning through m. 16, downbeat (dotted quarter-note = 63) p.15, beginning through m. 16 (quarter note = 72)
- Voxman-Gower - Advanced Method, Vol. 1 (Rubank) p.70, No.4, all [no repeats] (quarter-note = 60) p.53, No.30, all (quarter-note = 132)
- Rose - 32 Etudes (C. Fischer) p.9, No. 8, top through 2nd bar of 6th line [no repeat] (quarter-note = 108) p.14, No. 13, top through 3rd bar of 5th line (quarter-note = 63)
- Rose – 32 Etudes for Clarinet (C. Fischer) Revised Edition p. 12, No. 8, top through 2nd bar of 6th line [no repeat] (quarter-note = 108) p. 17, No. 13, top through 1st bar of 6th line
- Weissenborn/Rhoads - Advanced Studies (Southern) p.7, No. 11, 1st 4 lines (quarter-note = 72) p.7, No. 11, lines 5 through 8 [no repeats] (dotted-half-note = 60)
- Voxman - Selected Studies (Rubank) p. 36, beginning to the end of line 4 (eighth-note = 126) p. 44, beginning to the end of line 6 (dotted half-note = 60)
- Snedecor – Lyrical Etudes (PAS Music) p. 6-7 Etude V, start at B, end at downbeat, the bar before C (quarter-note = 108) p. 28-29 Etude XIX, all (dotted half-note = 72)
- Pottag - Preparatory Melodies (Belwin-Mills) p.24, No.59, all (dotted quarter-note = 96-100) p.25, No.62, all, including D.S. (quarter-note = 96-108)
- Voxman - Selected Studies for Trombone (Rubank) p.18, beginning through measure 47 (dotted half-note = 66) p.16, beginning through measure 17 (dotted quarter-note = 52)[Treble-clef baritone must either transpose these etudes or play the trumpet etudes]
- Ostrander - Method for Bass Trombone (C. Fischer) p. 40, No. 2, all [no repeats] (quarter note = 96) p. 40, No. 3, all [no repeats] (quarter note = 132)
- Sheridan – Performance Studies for Tuba (De Haske) p. 10-11, Alte Zauberkiste, all; Fliessend & Giocoso (quarter note = 136); Dolce (dotted quarter-note = 84)
- Piece(s) of your choice, demonstrating technique and musicality.
- Whaley - Recital Pieces for Mallets (J. R. Publications) p.8, “Allemande,” top – 6th line, downbeat of 2nd bar [no repeat] (8th note = 116-120)
- Cirone - Portraits in Rhythm (Belwin-Mills) [All rolls in concert style - multiple bounce] p.8, No. 6, all (tempi as marked)
- Whaley - Musical Studies for the Intermediate Timpanist (J.R. Publications) p.21, all [play on 3 drums] (tempo as marked)